The Alpha Tau Chapter of Delta Gamma was founded at Butler University on October 3rd, 1925. The group had been in existence under the name of Sigma Delta since December of 1922. The charter members were Mary Crew, Helen Dolpeppers, Louise Haggard, Elanor Muller, Sarah Sisson, and Alice Young (President). They were greatly aided by Theta Alpha, the Indianapolis Delta Gamma Alumnae Chapter.
The chapter's first house was a rental that was occupied from 1925 until 1936 when the new chapter house being built was completed. The foundation of the current chapter house is the same one that was built nearly 80 years ago in 1936. Additions to the house were made in 1948, 1963, 1982, and 2009. The Alpha Tau house has been home to thousands of girls throughout its existence.
Alpha Tau has grown and prospered throughout the years while maintaining the high standards and ideals set forth by the Delta Gamma founders.
Delta Gamma has meant so much more than a place to live for the women who have walked its halls. It has meant home, family, and sisterhood. Through the good times and the bad, the members of the Alpha Tau Chapter have, and always will, stand by each other - creating a sense of FAMILY. This aspect of "togetherness" is one that Alpha Tau prides itself on and one that will always be cherished by its members.